Monday, 13 July 2020
The UW-Madison Science Alliance Updater is your weekly news and updates on science outreach events, opportunities, and programs from the UW-Madison Science Alliance.
Kevin Niemi of WISCIENCE has produced the UW Science Alliance Updater since the fall of 2008 as a way of braiding together our communities of science outreachers all across UW-Madison. After nearly 24 years of advancing the outreach mission of the university, Kevin will be retiring in a few weeks.Kevin’s accomplishments in building communities, collaborations and networks include his work with Science Alliance, with the Wisconsin Society of Science Teachers, and with the NSF-funded ARIS/Advancing Research Impact in Society (https://www.researchinsociety.org). He also served on the Academic Staff Assembly and on the Academic Staff Executive Committee, including several years as chair of ASEC.
His is a vibrant legacy of achievement at the local, state, and national levels in connecting science teachers & students to the people, places & programs of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, in advancing the Broader Impacts work of NSF-funded research projects here and throughout the US, and in connecting those of us at UW-Madison to outreach programs and colleagues at universities across the country.
WISCIENCE is collecting well wishes, fun stories, personal anecdotes, and photos from Kevin’s friends and colleagues to make a scrapbook. Would you please post your missive at this google doc?
This week marks the transition of the Updater from Kevin to Liz Jesse and me, Tom Zinnen, both of BioTrek at the Biotech Center (and also Wisconsin 4-H, Division of Extension). We look forward to continuing the happy work of building the science outreach community through sharing your programs and insights.
A. Science Outreach Events This Week, July 13-19
- Monday July 13, 10:00-10:45 am. Science Alliance meets by webinar. Our meetings are open to all interested people. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and we’ll send you the link.
- Tuesday July 14, Noon. Badger Talks Live: “Red Foxes And Coyotes – Our Path To Co-Existence” with Prof David Drake. https://www.facebook.com/UWConnects/posts/790865624783092
- Saturday July 18, 10:00 am. Virtual Saturday Science Workshop online with UW Space Place. Details at http://www.spaceplace.wisc.edu/#satworkshops
- Check today.wisc.edu for more science outreach programs.
**Outreachers: please remember to enter your public programs, including your online programs, at today.wisc.edu and use the “Science” tag.
B. Weekly Overview for Science Alliance
The Dane County Land & Water Resources Department has free native plants for school and community projects. The application is short and easy! Fall applications are due July 19th. Plants would be available in mid-August. Learn more online at: https://lwrd.countyofdane.com/Native-Plants-for-Schools-and-Community-Projects
C. Examples of Online Summer Science Programs for Youth beyond UW-Madison
- CEOs of Tomorrow Summer Camp https://madison365.com/ceos-of-tomorrow-turns-to-innovative-summer-programs-in-light-of-covid-19/
- Morgridge Institute for Research “Rural Summer Science Camp” https://morgridge.org/story/rural-summer-science-camp-goes-digital/
- Strang/Urban League of Greater Madison “2020 STEAM Camp” August 3-6. https://strang-inc.com/steam-camp
- Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley, Online Science Discovery Camps, grades 1-12. https://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/visit/camps_and_classes/summer_camps
**Outreachers: UW-Madison policy prohibits online programming with youth through summer 2020, unless an exemption is granted by the provost’s office. (See https://covid19.wisc.edu/summer-non-credit-programs-and-activities-cancelled/ ). Exemptions we are aware of include SOAR, PEOPLE and Division of Extension including 4-H. Would you please let us know if you are doing any online programming with youth so we can promote your program?
Don’t forget to routinely check out www.science.wisc.edu for more science activities! Please send upcoming science outreach events and activities to Liz Jesse firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include your events in the Science Alliance Updater.