Mark Your Calendars: UW Family Gardening Day 2017 is Saturday, May 6th, 2017
UW Family Gardening Day 2016
On Saturday May 7, 2016 from 9am to 1pm join us for the 12th Annual UW Family Gardening Day at D.C. Smith Greenhouse, 465 Babcock Drive; Allen Centennial Gardens, 620 Babcock Drive; Steenbock Memorial Library, 550 Babcock Drive; and the UW Biotron, 2115 Observatory Dr.
You can park nearby at Lot 40 (460 Babcock Drive), Lot 36 (1645 Observatory Drive) and Lot 34 (1480 Tripp Circle).
UW Family Gardening Day gives everyone a chance to see & explore some of the splendid facilities for teaching, research and outreach in the plant sciences as well as to tour the beautiful gardens on campus. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Free, family friendly event
- Tour the D.C. Smith Greenhouse
- Visit Allen Centennial Gardens for inspiring home garden ideas. While you're there, pick up a Pasta Four-Pack (while supplies last)
- Tour the UW Biotron facility and investigate a variety of plant growing environments (including space!)
- Check out the Steenbock library for the Library Gardening Collection and a UW-Extension Master Gardener Q&A session
- Check out the Steenbock Library as well for hands-on activities with BioCommons and Wisconsin's Water Library
- Stop by the Babcock Hall Dairy Store for tasty treats (11:00-4:00)
- Explore hands-on activities with soil, seeds and seedlings
- Build a terrarium or look at insects under a microscope
- Use all 5 of your senses to experience plants
Want to take home a Wisconsin Native plant? Stop by the UW-Madison Arboretum Visitor Center where the Friends of the Arboretum will be having a native plant sale. The Arboretum Visitor Center is located at 1207 Seminole Highway, about 3 miles south of Campus. (There will also be plant sales taking place at Olbrich Botanical Gardens and Troy Community Gardens on May 7th)
Are you interested in volunteering for the day? Are you part of a community garden and want to collaborate? Email the organizer, Johanna Oosterwyk, if you are interested or have any questions.
More details at the UW Family Gardening Day Facebook page.
Map of UW Family Gardening Day locations (note: click on the map for an interactive map)